Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Greatest Show in the History of Television

The other day I was watching some atrocious dating show on MTV. It could have been "Next", "Date my Mom", etc. And it got me thinking. In my college and early post college days there was a show that made dating a beautiful, horrible, spectacle. That show was "Blind Date".
"Blind Date" went off the air about four years ago. To that I say, rest in peace. Blind Date was a train wreck that featured two kinds of dates: nightmares or full erotic encounters. The show also featured thought bubbles, sideline comments, and pop-up commenting on the sanity, horniness, or drama of the contestants and the situation.
The show had obviously intoxicated people, mentally ill people, and just plain bananas people. Good times.
Nowadays, every date on the MTV shows end with making out. There are weird dates, but never ones where you worry for the safety of the participants. It can be funny (see the chubby who wiped out coming off the "Next" bus), but it never reaches the heights of Blind Date.
If you have never seen it, check out Amazon. This might be the best 30 dollars you ever spent.
Trust me.

3 comments:

D. said...

This was a great show, however, I don't know if I'd spend $30 to actually own it! I might spend 30 minutes or so trolling the internet to find it for free though.

www.rockpaperscissorsgun.blogspot.com

Josh Homer said...

you are mistaken my friend, Blind Date is in full force.It has been moved to late night (2 AM, I think) but they air an hour. THey have revamped their website http://www.blinddatetv.com and now they do pay per view shows where they show everything they blr out on TV.

cakegrrl said...

I have bad memories of this show, sorry. MJ used to make me watch it.