Monday, July 23, 2007

My Big Geeky Weekend

So, what did you do this weekend?? It probably involved going out, exploring, doing things. Not me! I started my weekend seeing the film 1408. Excellent. The best movie I've seen in this disappointing summer. Then, I went to Virgin Megastore to pick up my pre-ordered copy of Harry Potter.
This is where everything goes off the rails. My husband and I were walking in and saw a small sign that said, "We have the Wii." The first words out of Joe's mouth were, "Where do you think they are?" He made a beeline downstairs and got in line. He got the last one they had that evening. Joe was even more satisfied because the guy behind him looked like a perp on "To Catch a Predator" and crushing dreams is something Joe loves to do. So, he got the Wii, 2 games, and an extra remote.
We then got ready to get our books and saw that the line was ridiculous. So, we went home and fired up the Wii. And, I am not a huge game fan, but let me say something. Nintendo has changed the game. While everyone else fretted about grphical load and adding every extra known to man, the Wii just decided to be the simplest and most interesting console around. The use of the wands with point and click functions along with the functionality of the sensors denoting any movement, make it a more interactive game.
The unit also connects to the internet where you can read news wire articles, get the weather, create avatars called Miis, and purchase almost every game in the NES universe. This creates an interactive and personal game experience. Needless to say, I spent a few hours playing Wario Smooth Moves and Wii Sports. The future is now.
Saturday morning I went and picked up my copy of Harry Potter, I am at page 345 currently and will be getting abck to it as soon as I finish this post. I have loved all the books and have been waiting for a while for this one. I think the books have been amazing and have really boosted a love of reading in many children and adults. I hope that all of Harry's fans continue seeking out good stories.
So, until The Simpsons opens next weekend this, officially, was the geekiest weekend ever.

No comments: