Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The 6th Annual Amy Awards


So, here it is. I know all of you have been clamoring for it, the 6th Annual Amy Awards. As my many fans know, I make a list of the films, actors, and other film matters that I loved the most during the year. As usual, I have not seen every movie. There are plenty of films I'm sure I would have loved, but did not see. So, until someone is willing to pay me to see movies, which I will gladly do. Also, remember that the movies are in no particular order, just as my brain remembered them.:

Favorite Movies:
Batman Begins
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers
Broken Flowers
The Squid and the Whale
The Family Stone
Brokeback Mountain
Match Point
Hustle and Flow
Junebug
Grizzly Man
The Aristrocrats
Kung Fu Hustle
Movie that Nobody Saw and I loved: Lord of War
Movie that Nobody Saw and I hated: Derailed
Best Actors: Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson, Ludacris (Hustle and Flow), Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain) Matt Dillon, Ludacris, Terrence Howard, Ryan Phillippe, and Michael Pena (Crash), Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line), Jeff Daniels and Owen Kline (The Squid and the Whale), Bill Murray and Geoffrey Wright (Broken Flowers), Christian Bale (Batman Begins), Steve Carrell, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogan, Romany Malco (40 year Old Virgin), and Werner Herzog for his narration of Grizzly Man.
Best Actresses: Taryn Manning, Taraji P. Henson (Hustle and Flow), Thandie Newton (Crash), Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line), Amy Adams (Junebug), Michelle Williams and Linda Cardellini (Brokeback Mountain), Scarlett Johansson, Penelope Wilton, and Emily Mortimer (Match Point), Felicity Huffman (Transamerica)

The year in review: I found that this year the movies ran in cycles. The summer was very strong as was the winter. There were movies I didn't love, but admired like "Crash" and "Good Night and Good Luck". I think the strength of conviction has grown for many films. Comedies had a strong year. I could talk about numerous things this year. But, to me, the opening of movies dealing with race, sexuality, and gender are all moving forward. We still have along way to go. An example of this is in "Hustle and Flow" which is about a pimp, but is mainly about the black strive to get to the middle class.
This was a tough year for female actresses with even a smaller amount of good roles. Actors feasted. Maybe one day, I'm not holding my breath, it will get a little more equitable.

So, I hope all of you enjoyed. I will be adding comments when ideas come to me. But, you guys should feel free to post on up. Get ready for the Oscars!!!!!

No comments: