Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My Trip to Amsterdam

I just came back from the very interesting city Amsterdam. Because blogging is the art of talking about yourself believing that others want to read it, I will share the details of my trip. I won't really recount everything I just want to share some general impressions.

It's a beautiful and intersting city. It's smaller and very different architectually than most European cities. I found it a refreshing change of pace from places like Madrid or Paris. It has a cozier, smaller feel.

Although everyone focuses on the drugs and prostitutes, it's a city with a lot more. We enjoyed some really good food and great sights. The Van Gough museum is filled with beauty and some of the most stunning art on record. The Anne Frank House is powerful. Being in the house itself was powerful. I, along with many others, spent most of the time crying. It ends up moving you in ways you cannot imagine.

The Red Light District is not so shocking, for me it was a little sad. Many of the prostitutes looked young and from Russia and Eastern Europe. Every man walking the street looked guilty. Not as funny as I hoped it would be.

In contrast, the hash bars are a great time. Good atmosphere, calm music, and just a good time. You could have a conversation without yelling. My husband Joe summed it up best. "I would love to just hang out in a hash bar. It's better than a drinking bar. You can hear people." Truer words have not been spoken.

We did do the tourist thing and went to a cheese factory and a wooden shoe demonstration. Good times. I love being a tourist sometimes.

I would recommend Amsterdam. But, I would say do the "bigger" cities first. They awe you. Amsterdam feels cozy, more like being in Brooklyn as opposed to Manhattan.

No comments: