Monday, May 22, 2006

I Like Doctor Who (Holy Crap!!!!)

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but the new Doctor Who from the BBC is fantastic. It's going to be out on DVD here in the U.S. in July. I have a great connection here in the city for bootleg DVD's.

So, when he had the good doctor, my husband grabbed it up.
Joe is a big Doctor Who fan. I will call him out right now. He has been to a Doctor convention. With all of that in mind, he really wanted to see the show. I was reluctant to say the least.

A little back story on my love/hate affair with science fiction. I am a little schizo on this topic. I think in many things there are good ideas, but I also think that many times the execution is off. American Sci-Fi distracts you with amazing effects and British Sci-Fi distracts you with the lack of effects. It's a little weird. There are many things in science fiction I enjoy. My favorite books are Brave New World, Farenheight 451, and Slaughterhouse Five. I'm not sure how that happened. And, the big ideas in the first 2 Matrix films was right up my alley.

Sorry, tangent. But, the new Dr. Who is extremely well done. Good acting, clever scripts, and decent effects are all here. Christopher Ecclestone plays the Dr. Much more sour and sarcastic. He is not twinkly like Tom Baker. Billie Piper and John Barrowman play his traveling companions. John Barrowman plays a bi-sexual time traveler. The character is done very well and handled with wit and dignity.

Russell Davies is the new writer/producer. He created the original Queer as Folk. He brings the same good writing and strong show running to this new doctor. Doctor Who is really good. Everyone who enjoys science fiction or British humor should check it out. And, if you watch a lot of British product, look for a variety of guest stars.

No comments: