Thursday, February 09, 2006

When Amy met Mooney

So, this is another personal blog, and it will totally be the last. I already posted a version of this on the Comedy Soapbox. If any Plow fans want to get to know me, check out my blog at www.comedysoapbox.com. But, here I'm usually a culture vulture. But, I did want to talk about the amazing class I took at the Learning Annex. It was a comedy writing seminar with Paul Mooney.
A lot of people probably know Mr. Mooney from his recent appearances on Chappelle's Show with "Ask a Black Dude", "Negrodamous", and "Mooney at the Movies". In the past he has an amazing list of credits. I'll list a few; head writer for "Sanford and Son", writer for "Good Times", comedy writer for Whoopi Goldberg, Lily Tomlin, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy. He has also written for SNL and "In Living Color", and he was in the movie "Bamboozled". Holy Crap!!!! I'll take one of those credits.
So, at the program you had to go up and do a five minute set in front of him. I was literally a foot away. He is a comedy legend and known for being uncompromising. There have been times in the last year that I have grown frustrated with comedy because I feel like the hustle is too much. I'm always told by show runners and club owners that my comedy is too "smart" and "don't you have any personal material?" Both of these comments are code for, "you don't fit the stereotype of a lady comic. Do more self-esteem and dating jokes." But, I can't. And, during the seminar I am now more committed to doing my thing and people can come around to me.
Why, you may ask? Because Paul Mooney loved me. He told me to get on stage more. He also said I was hip, smart, deceptive, and kept him listening. This happened two days ago and I'm still high.
I have been up and down with comedy. But, lately I am back in the saddle. Three shows a week is my minimum. I suddenly feel much better about comedy and I have to thank Paul Mooney for that.

No comments: