Monday, February 06, 2006

Cultural Differences

I am a fan of cultural differences. So many times in our country we do this whole, "we're all the same" nonsense. Personally, for me that's a bunch of bunk. I think differences are what make us so great. If everyone was the same the world would be really boring.
Case in point...
I was at a baby shower on Saturday. It was a predominantly Jamaican group of people. There were a smattering of African-Americans. My self and a Jamaican born white dude were the only people lighter than caramel. And, it was a totally different world.
A short list of the things at this shower that I have never seen before:
  • A DJ who played reggae and when a good gift was opened by the mother to be gun shot effects or voice effects were played.
  • A full meal and appetizers.
  • The party started at 7pm, but things didn't really start until almost midnight.
  • Dancing, a gift announcer, and about 200 people.

It was amazing. I had never been to anything like it. I loved every minute. I stayed until midnight and the party was still going strong. I got home from a baby shower at 1am. Wrap your mind around that! Everyone should have to do things like this. Something like this baby shower is why America is great.

No comments: