Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Liza with a Z


So, I just watched the Bob Fosse directed special "Liza with a Z". It played on Showtime and is soon to be on DVD. I'm not a huge Liza fan, but I am a huge Bob Fosse fan. His films are filled with amazing imagery and his choreography is instantly recognizable. Probably only Twyla Tharp and Jerome Robbins have a style that you recognize immediately.
Fosse's style is filled with small gestures and precision. Hats, gloves, wide fingers, and subtle hip movements are his signature. On the aspect of the dancing, the show is a great success. Liza was raised to be an entertainment machine. You sense her professionalism to the core. However, because she is an entertainment machine, you never feel much joy. Liza seems to want to do the best show ever. And, the show is very good. Once Liza begins her singing, dancing juggernaut show picks up. The "Cabaret" themed finish is the highlight. And, Liza nails the title song the way she always does.
So, why am I not more excited? Two things; as much as I love Fosse, his directing style is distracting in the TV special form, and secondly, Liza never looks like she's having that much fun. Everything appears calculated and formed to the smallest detail. I want to see sexuality and joy and the art of having a good time. And, for much of the show this is missing.
Now, I would not say this is a pan. I loved the dancing and Liza sounds great. I personally was just hoping for a little more joy.

No comments: