Thursday, September 15, 2005

All She Ever Wanted

So, I have some actual articles I want to write. But, I'm starting with this frothy brew. I watched possibly one of the most bizarre Lifetime movies I have ever seen. The film was titled "All She Ever Wanted" and features James Marshall (post Twin Peaks, Few Good Men, Gladiator) and Marcia Cross (at her Kimberly Shaw apex).
So, the movie is about a couple who want a child. The wife (La Cross) is severely bi-polar and takes lithium. She decides to go off of lithium to have a child. I will just briefly say that shenanigans ensue. She's manic and sexy and painting. She's depressed and mopey and wearing a big sweater. It's an amazing job. And, like most husbands in Lifetime films this one is completely ill equipped to do anything other than stammer and try to talk her down. The film is extremely convoluted for a one hour and 45 minute movie. La Cross is hospitalized, forced on a feeding tube, almost forced to have an abortion, flashes back to her younger brother's drowning, and in the end loses her baby and goes back on lithium. Wow.
So, I started watching for La Cross and stayed for the bi-polar. I was not disappointed. Marcia Cross gave her typical demented and OTT performance that somehow works. But, the movie was just so bizarre and random that it in no way helps someone understand mental illness. It does however shed light on big sweaters as appropriate attire in a loony bin.

No comments: