Monday, August 22, 2005

I Just Wanna Celebrate (Another Day of Living)

6ft. Under ended last night. Possibly my favorite show of the past five years (excluding Scrubs and Arrested Development) followed a group of flawed and incredibly realistic people. I am still sad and a little teary from last night's final episode. I just wanted to share a few thoughts in my ever popular bullet point style. I feel that this show will be greatly missed and that television might not ever do better to me.

Thoughts:
  • So, David finally learns to love himself the way Keith has always loved him.
  • I applaud the show for its attitude about adoption. It can be hard, but the process is probably the most rewarding thing you'll do.
  • Anthony and Durrell ended up being the Sons of "Fisher and Sons". And they both ended up as happy as their dads.
  • The new American family is gay, minority, multi-marriage, and not vanilla.
  • Claire's blindness at the end was nicely forshadowed by the use of the show "Just Shoot Me" (about fashion photography) and the song "Doctor my Eyes".
  • Billy finally talked Brenda to death, and the humor of her death was a nice palette cleanser.
  • Keith's death was tragic, but he got his dream of his own security company and had many years to have the family he always wanted.
  • The ambiguity of the ending helped so that we could create our own stories for the character and for the characters whose names were not in the lead credits.
  • Claire's journey was the essence of the show and her changes were always real and always funny.
  • I will probably have more later, but this ending had a roomful of adults sobbing last night. I felt like the show gave me everything I wanted, including a weird Peter Krause music video.

No comments: